What Is Facebook Ad Relevance Score?
Have you ever wondered how Facebook decides which ads to show on the platform and how much each marketer should pay? It all boils down to a metric called the Facebook Ad Relevance Score. Here’s all you need to know:
What Is Facebook Relevancy Score?
Facebook’s ad relevancy score is a measure of the quality and engagement potential of your ads. As a metric, it ranges from 1 to 10, with 1 being the lowest, signifying the poorest relevancy score, and 10 being the highest, signifying the most awesome relevancy score.
Your relevancy score is calculated based on the expected positive and negative feedback, which makes it somewhat subjective as a metric.
How many times does Facebook run your ad in order to arrive at the expected score? Five Hundred. After that your ad is assigned a score based on how likely it is for your audience to take your ad’s desired action.
Your Ad Relevance Score Is Not Static
If you are served a 10, don’t rest on your laurels and go on vacation just yet. Your Facebook Relevancy Score could actually fluctuate daily as reception from your target audience changes. Once your score starts dropping, you can take that as a cue to roll out something new for your audience.
Why Relevance Score Matters to Your Business
- It Can Reduce the Cost of Reaching Your Target Audience
The higher your relevancy score, the lower it will cost you to have your ad shown. Facebook’s algorithm is designed to show the right content to the right people, and the higher your relevancy score, the more eager the system is to promote your ad.
On the flipside, imagine you have an ad with a relevancy score of 1, meaning your ad barely pertains to your defined audience. In order for Facebook to continue showing such an ad you would have to pay top dollar.
- It Enables You to Test Different Creative Options for Your Ads Before Running a Campaign
Your social media campaigns can benefit from you testing different combinations of images and copy with different audiences in order to arrive at the one with the best ad relevancy score.
- It Helps With the Optimization of Ads
Relevancy scores have started to dip? Try refreshing the ad’s creative element, or its target audience to maintain engagement.
How to Increase Your Facebook Relevancy Score
Having a good relevance score is not an end in itself, and is better viewed as a tool for optimizing ads and reducing the cost for running ads on Facebook. The number 1 factor that matters for your Facebook ad is actually bidding, based on the goal you hope to achieve with that ad.
Quite frankly, it would make little sense to worry too much about your relevancy score when your ad is already proving to be successful in meeting the goals for which it was sent out.
That said, here are a few ways you can boost your Facebook Relevancy Score:
- Be very specific with your targeting. Really drilling down to an audience that has lots in common will increase the likelihood that your ad will have an impact.
- Create great ads which your target audience will find hard to resist. To stand out in the sea of content that is Facebook; make sure you use vivid, eye-catching images and meaningful copy that clearly states what lies on the other side of your ad.
- Test, test, and test again! Your relevance score will help you know what works and what doesn’t. Whenever your relevance score starts to dip and you decide to make a change, make sure you double down on what your tests have shown to be effective.
The Facebook Relevance Score can be a useful metric if you know how to use it properly. We at Eternity would love nothing better than to help you understand how to make this metric work for your business. Reach out anytime!